For us who manage complex multi-channels PPC campaigns, the Facebook custom audience is Awesome! It allows us to create highly targeted audience based on specific actions or content that we actually control instead of a post written on a page by a user or some unverified information.
Custom Audience Kickstarter: the CSV Import
Start with the CSV import with email addresses or mobile phone numbers. This feature is a game changer. Every sign up campaign with email addresses/mobile phone numbers is becoming even more valuable data. Craft different messages and make sure the action you want your audience to do is a more “engaged next step” towards your final objective(s).
Case Study…in progress
We have started to use custom audiences for different purposes, especially for e-commerce. A good application of the feature we are intensively working on right now is for an up-coming Real Estate Projects. When the project is still a “paper project” and the website is not even online, we use landing pages to create an “early Interested” audience. We collect email addresses & mobile phone numbers only. PPC is mostly used for acquisition and then traditional remarketing ensures that we increase our sign up rate.
The Facebook Custom Audience has provided us with an alternative to traditional remarketing and newsletter. We now have the chance to craft different messages, upload the batch email addresses or mobile phone numbers and then see the results in real time… and obviously: optimize based on conversions!
As indicate in the image above, there are also other options to test, such as the Remarketing Pixel from Facebook and the Mobile App user who performed an action. So depends on your campaign infrastructure, the Custom Audience from Facebook is flexible.
To ensure maximum “Awesomeness” in your results, here are some recommendations to follow:
- Segment properly your custom audiences. Email Addresses should be one (audience), mobile phone numbers should be one (audience) as well and so on.
- Create an engagement path from acquisition (PPC or other sources) to loyalty (Custom Audiences) with actionable steps for the users.
- Segment ads (Mobile Newsfeed, Right Column, and Desktop Newsfeed) and adapt the image and messaging to ensure proper ads format.
- Exclude audiences that had performed an action and move them into another action cluster according to your engagement path defined in recommendation #2.
- A/B test your results with other initiatives such as email marketing or remarketing campaigns
- Define an engagement KPI and capitalize on it.
The Facebook success will always be achieved through a high level of segmentation. Custom Audiences is providing us more features to segment and isolate successful variables. I am certain that this will provide us a more dynamic top-level audience management system than email marketing and some remarketing platforms. In addition to be an “advanced social real-time audience management system”, the Power Editor makes it scalable!
I will keep you updated on my next blog post the actual optimized results achieved. I am pretty sure those ones will be “legend… wait for the audience to engaged… Dary”!